Big oil, drug companies, insurers, and HMOs give millions to legislators, costing taxpayers billions in special interest giveaways and cutting voters out of the loop.
Proposition 89, The Clean Money and Fair Elections Act, puts us in charge of elections, not big money special interests. Candidates who build a coalition of $5 donors and refuse special interest money get Clean Money public financing, leveling the playing field so elections are about ideas not money.
FACTS: Proposition 89 - the Clean Money and Fair Elections
Strict contribution and expenditure limits
Prop. 89 ends the fundraising madness with constitutional limits so regular voters
aren't drowned out by big money.
* Proposition 89 bans contributions from lobbyists and state contractors
* Proposition 89 limits contributions from corporations, unions, and individuals
to state candidates
* Proposition 89 limits corporation donations to initiatives to $10,000
2) Clean Money public financing of political campaigns
Prop. 89 levels the playing field so new candidates can win on their ideas, not
because of the money they raise.
* With Proposition 89, candidates who agree to spending limits and to take no
private contributions qualify for public funding
* Under Proposition 89, $5 contributions from voters required to prove viability
* With Proposition 89, lean candidates receive enough to run competitive campaigns.
They can't raise money beyond public funds
Tough disclosure and enforcement for politicians
Prop. 89 stops candidates from hiding behind negative ads and punishes politicians
who violate the law.
* Proposition 89 makes wealthy self-funded candidates disclose the amount of personal
funds they will spend
* Under Proposition 89, publicly financed candidates must engage in debates
* Proposition 89 imposes mandatory jail time and provides for removal from office
of candidates who break the law.
Clean Money Now - Yes on 89 is controlled by the California Clean Money Action Fund, the League of Women Voters of California, California Common Cause, and other leading reform groups. We are working closely with Californians for Clean Elections to pass Proposition 89. Prop 89 Blog ~ Proposition 89 ~ Proposition 89 News